Do you have to pay your ex wife after divorce?

Under New York law, spouses are required to support each other financially, especially if one spouse does not have sufficient funds to support themselves. Under this theory, the court can force a husband or wife to financially support their spouse after separation. Usually, an ex-wife is not entitled to the money her spouse earns after a divorce. If the judge grants alimony or child support; however, you will be entitled to part of it.

The court or a divorce agreement can decide who is responsible for the debts. However, if you signed with your spouse and your spouse does not make debt payments as ordered, the lender can still hold you liable. But what happens when the spouse receiving alimony remarries or starts living with another person? If you pay support, do you have to continue to pay alimony? Check your settlement agreement and divorce decree, which may indicate that alimony ends if your spouse remarries. Or, you may have agreed that your supported spouse's remarriage will not end spousal support.

In this particular case, the ex-wife and her new partner spent every day together for more than 2 years, spent holidays together, shared finances and meals regularly, and argued about marriage (but decided not to do it for financial reasons). The paying spouse must file a motion to modify support and show a substantial and ongoing change in circumstances, provide evidence related to the economic nature of the cohabitation, and show that the former spouse's support needs have changed. The paying spouse must file a motion to modify support and show that the domestic partner is cohabiting, has a financial relationship, and that a significant change in the financial circumstances of the spouse with support justifies the reduction in support. And keep in mind that the person requesting a change in alimony or support payments is the one who must prove that a former spouse's situation has changed significantly.

For example, in one Illinois case, a husband asked the court to end support payments after discovering that his ex-wife was cohabiting with a new partner. The paying spouse must file a motion to cancel support and prove cohabitation and a substantial change in circumstances. The paying spouse does not have to go back to court, payments can simply stop from the date of marriage. If your former spouse is behind on alimony payments, you can file a contempt petition and ask the court to take steps to enforce the order.

The paying spouse must ask the court to modify or terminate alimony and show a substantial change in circumstances that was not considered for the original award. The paying spouse must file a motion to modify support and show a substantial change in the former spouse's financial circumstances that justifies the reduction in support. For example, if a couple bought a house, but only the husband's name was on the deed, the wife would still be entitled to a share of the value of the house if they divorced. For example, in Arizona, a paying spouse's alimony obligation ends when the beneficiary remarries, but not until the paying spouse files a formal motion to cancel the payments with the court.

The judge can modify alimony compensation if the ability of the former paying spouse to make the payments has changed or if there has been a change in the needs of the person receiving the payments. Alimony (also called spousal support) refers to financial support payments that one spouse makes to the other, either during or after the divorce. .

Donald Stevens
Donald Stevens

Award-winning sushiaholic. Passionate web expert. Friendly pop culture trailblazer. Wannabe zombie scholar. Devoted beer nerd.